Wednesday 13 May 2009

Snouts in The Trough - Suggestion Ignored

Pigs

My thanks to Thomas Casagranda for giving me permission to post a letter that he sent to the Mail on Sunday, re second home profits.

I wonder how HMRC are able to reconcile their reluctance to look into this issue, with the sudden "enthusiasm" of some MPs to now pay the tax on these profits? Either these profits are taxable or they are not.

In the event that the profits are not taxable, then the payment made by Blears etc will be classified as a tax overpayment. In the event that there is a tax liability, then the underpayments of tax are surely subject to interest/fines?

"Subsequent to Ian Galagher's article dated 11/05/2009, I feel compelled to write.

In 2005/06 I highlighted, for my local compliance team, as a revenue employee, the use of second homes by MPs as a viable revenue project. My idea was instantly shot down in flames by a manager, and I was told that if I looked at a local MP's tax returns, I would face conduct and discipline procedures.

In my opinion, it is too little too late, and if HMRC targeted the MPs a few years' ago, the foul scandals besmirching the Commons and Lords would, possibly , have not occurred to the extent that they have.

Thomas Casagranda
"

Tax does have to be taxing.

HMRC Is Shite (www.hmrcisshite.com), also available via the domain www.hmrconline.com, is brought to you by www.kenfrost.com "The Living Brand"

No comments:

Post a Comment