The letter was, so I am advised, a tad shoddy.
The letter claimed to come from HMRC, yet it did not look terribly professional or authentic:
- The envelope had been hand-scrawled
- The letter was on cheap copier paper
- There was a low-res HMRC logo, clearly ripped from the internet and bastardised
- There was a blank space under "your reference number"
- The letter was littered with spelling and grammar mistakes eg; "this will have an effect on your natioanl insurance account", "youve been refferrred to us" and "you detailswill be added"
- The letter was dated 2009
Needless to say this letter was "obviously" a scam (akin to the ongoing email scam that purports to come from HMRC).
Being a good citizen, my loyal reader rang HMRC to report the scam.
Can you guess what happened next children?
Yes, that's right, the letter was not in fact a scam it really had come from HMRC!
Tax does have to be taxing.
UK EXPATS: Reduce tax on UK Pensions
HMRC QROPS provider. Unlock your UK pension and access a 25% lump sum today.
Quote ID code "ABC" when contacting a QROPS specialist.
Professional Cover Against the Threat of Costly TAX and VAT Investigations
What is TAXWISE?
TAXWISE is a tax-fee protection service that will pay up to £75,000 towards your accountant's fees in the event of an HM Revenue & Customs full enquiry or dispute.
To find out more, please use this link Taxwise
Tax Investigation for Dummies, by Nick Morgan, provides a good and easy to read guide for anyone caught up in an HMRC tax investigation. A must read for any Self Assessment taxpayer.
Click the link to read about: Tax Investigation for Dummies