When HMRC recently ended its support for Verify, it came as an unwelcome surprise for thousands of taxpayers facing imminent deadlines or the urgent need to apply for rebates online, when they found themselves locked out and unable to sign in to HMRC’s services.
Services you can no longer use with GOV.UK Verify
From April 2022 the following services will use their own identity verification instead of GOV.UK Verify:
- Check your Income Tax for the current year (HMRC)
- Help friends or family with their tax (HMRC)
- Sign in and file your Self Assessment tax return (HMRC)
- Sign in to your personal tax account (HMRC)
- Apply for Universal Credit with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
- Check your State Pension (DWP and HMRC)
- Get your State Pension (DWP)
- View or share your driving licence information (DVLA)
- Report a medical condition that affects your driving (DVLA)
- Renew your short-term medical driving licence (DVLA)
Having been barred from the tax account they previously accessed using Verify, these users have found themselves unable to provide the documentation required to regain access to HMRC services online.
Unfortunately, it seems that some staff at the HMRC call centre assigned to deal with such issues don’t appear to be aware of the demise of Verify and of its implications.
Bill Mew in Accounting Web issues a cri de coeur
HMRC may learn from this experience, make allowances for those that have been inconvenienced, help those more seriously impacted and ensure that this kind of thing never happens again.Will HMRC learn?
Tax does have to be taxing.
Tax Investigation Insurance
Market leading tax fee protection insurance for businesses, sole traders and individuals. Protect yourself from accountancy fees in the event of an HMRC enquiry.
Having a Solar Protect Tax Investigation Insurance policy at your disposal means that should you be one of the many 1000's of businesses or individuals that are selected by HMRC each year to look into your tax affairs your own accountant (your tax return agent) can get on and defend you robustly.
You have the peace of mind knowing that your accountant's (your tax return agent) fees will be paid by the insurance without any Excess for you to find.
Tax Investigation Insurance is an insurance policy that will fully reimburse your accountant's (your tax return agent) fees up to £100,000 if you are subject to enquiry by or dispute with HMRC.
A Solar Protect policy will enable your accountant (your tax return agent) to:
- Deal with any correspondence from HMRC
- Attend any meeting with HMRC
- Appeal to the First-tier Tribunal or Upper Tribunal
- Having the security of knowing that fees will be met in full will enable your Accountant (your tax return agent) to defend your position robustly
Please click here for details.
HMRC Is Shite (www.hmrcisshite.com), also available via the domain www.hmrconline.com, is brought to you by www.kenfrost.com "The Living Brand"