In the matter of Debra Elizabeth Adjei v The Official Receiver & Anor the court found in favour of Debra Elizabeth Adjei, and annulled the bankruptcy order against her. The petition was also dismissed. The costs issues and the timing of the Trustees in Bankruptcy's release were adjourned to 21 April 2023.
Here is a summary of the case:
- Debra Elizabeth Adjei was bankrupted by HMRC on 27 January 2021.
- Adjei applied to have the bankruptcy order annulled.
- The court heard evidence from Adjei and HMRC.
- The court found in favour of Adjei and annulled the bankruptcy order.
- The petition was also dismissed.
- The costs issues and the timing of the Trustees in Bankruptcy's release were adjourned to 21 April 2023.
ICC Judge Barber said:
"Mr Doyle’s (of HMRC) written evidence also contained statements that were simply untrue.
Overall, I have come to the conclusion that Mr Doyle’s written evidence is unreliable. It is peppered with inaccuracies and has not been prepared with the candour and care required
Tax does have to be taxing.
Tax Investigation Insurance
Market leading tax fee protection insurance for businesses, sole traders and individuals. Protect yourself from accountancy fees in the event of an HMRC enquiry.
Having a Solar Protect Tax Investigation Insurance policy at your disposal means that should you be one of the many 1000's of businesses or individuals that are selected by HMRC each year to look into your tax affairs your own accountant (your tax return agent) can get on and defend you robustly.
You have the peace of mind knowing that your accountant's (your tax return agent) fees will be paid by the insurance without any Excess for you to find.
Tax Investigation Insurance is an insurance policy that will fully reimburse your accountant's (your tax return agent) fees up to £100,000 if you are subject to enquiry by or dispute with HMRC.
A Solar Protect policy will enable your accountant (your tax return agent) to:
- Deal with any correspondence from HMRC
- Attend any meeting with HMRC
- Appeal to the First-tier Tribunal or Upper Tribunal
- Having the security of knowing that fees will be met in full will enable your Accountant (your tax return agent) to defend your position robustly
Please click here for details.
HMRC Is Shite (www.hmrcisshite.com), also available via the domain www.hmrconline.com, is brought to you by www.kenfrost.com "The Living Brand"