HMRC’s April Agent Update directed advisers to a section in the February 2022 Employer Bulletin entitled Decommissioning of HMRC’s Online End of Year Expenses and Benefits Service April 2022.
This advised that the interactive PDF service, commonly used by small and medium-sized employers, would not be available for use for 2021/22 submissions.
Employers who previously relied on the online End of Year Expenses and Benefits service need to consider their options now that the online form is not available for tax year 2021/22 and onwards. If the news has come as a surprise, it may be worth starting with a summary of what the service allowed:
- Interactive PDF capability enabling small to medium-sized employers (up to 150 employees) to create P11D forms for their employees
- The capability to create, send and amend P11D and P11D(b) forms electronically or for printing and posting
- The facility to create and submit a ‘Nil P11D(b)’, essentially saying to HMRC that there is no Class 1A National Insurance liability.
Payroll managers will know that tax year 2021/22 is not totally complete until employers have completed all of their P11D returns and made submissions to HMRC. This annual process includes the submission of form P11D(b) and payment of Class 1A National Insurance Contributions.
There are now only two ways for employers of any size to report and submit details of expenses and benefits for tax year ending 5 April 2022: via payroll software (depending on functionality) and HMRC’s PAYE Online service (for submissions up to 500 employees).
Tax does have to be taxing.
Tax Investigation Insurance
Market leading tax fee protection insurance for businesses, sole traders and individuals. Protect yourself from accountancy fees in the event of an HMRC enquiry.
Having a Solar Protect Tax Investigation Insurance policy at your disposal means that should you be one of the many 1000's of businesses or individuals that are selected by HMRC each year to look into your tax affairs your own accountant (your tax return agent) can get on and defend you robustly.
You have the peace of mind knowing that your accountant's (your tax return agent) fees will be paid by the insurance without any Excess for you to find.
Tax Investigation Insurance is an insurance policy that will fully reimburse your accountant's (your tax return agent) fees up to £100,000 if you are subject to enquiry by or dispute with HMRC.
A Solar Protect policy will enable your accountant (your tax return agent) to:
- Deal with any correspondence from HMRC
- Attend any meeting with HMRC
- Appeal to the First-tier Tribunal or Upper Tribunal
- Having the security of knowing that fees will be met in full will enable your Accountant (your tax return agent) to defend your position robustly
Please click here for details.
HMRC Is Shite (www.hmrcisshite.com), also available via the domain www.hmrconline.com, is brought to you by www.kenfrost.com "The Living Brand"