Wednesday 20 August 2008

Computer Says No - HMRC Shuts Down Its System

Computer Says No
Those of you attempting to engage with certain parts of HMRC's online systems today will have a few problems.

HMRC will shut down its main online processing systems from 8am today (20th August) for 24 hours, to undertake essential maintenance and upgrade work.

The online mechanism for entering data and filing self assessment tax returns, VAT returns, Corporation Tax and PAYE returns will be unavailable according to a very well hidden page on HMRC's site.

Also shutdown will be the online systems for administering Child Benefits, the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS), the EC Sales List (ECSL) and Reverse Charge Sales List (RCSL), Inheritance Tax (IHT) form requests, pension schemes, Stamp taxes and the shared workspace facilities.

Here's a radical thought, how about putting information such as this on the main web page?

Could it be that they don't want too many people to know that their online systems suck?

Tax does have to be taxing.

HMRC Is Shite (www.hmrcisshite.com), also available via the domain www.hmrconline.com, is brought to you by www.kenfrost.com "The Living Brand"

5 comments:

  1. Only HMRC would take out a system when it's customers would usually be using it. Any private company would soon find itself losing customers if they did anyhting like this. You would try to pick a time when the system usage was minimal.

    Your site name says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well hello there Mr Frost. Well said that man, particularly for making a clear distinction between rubbish systems, piss-poor management and the actual beleaguered staff – something which the actual HMRC senior management never does when looking for a scapegoat.

    It is worth remembering next time you or your readers have direct dealings with HMRC staff, and particularly those in Debt Management and Banking, that there is a better-than-evens chance that the individual is being regularly and systematically bullied by their line manager who, in turn, is continually exhorted to produce greater yield from a diminishing and disenchanted workforce.

    Can you guess who I work for? I’d love to give you my name but I have a mortgage to pay and hungry mouths to feed and I’m guessing my performance-related pay (if we ever get the pay rise which was due in June) might be adversely affected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They (the government) have even bungled the PM's new site (number10.gov.uk). Moments after launch, the site crashed out with 404 errors.

    A spokeswoman said "it's just what happens when you launch a web site" I've been in this business nearly 10 years... never have I launched a site riddled with 404's (page not found)

    How unbelievably stupid are these people? More to the point... how stupid do they think we are?

    I seem to remember the SAO site crashing in January, also with 404's... coincidence? I think not.

    I still haven't filed my 2006-2007 tax return! Don't get me wrong... I tried, repeatedly; and was told I wouldn't face a fine because their systems were down. 7 months on and they now claim I owe £200 in fines! They're not getting that either.

    I'd rather do time than see you waste my money on B$ slogans & failing services.

    Keep up the great work, Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For more than 30 years I was proud to represent an honourable 300-year tradition of public service.

    Then, we were taken over by the grasping belly-robbers of the Inand Revenue and swiftly disappeared into their revolting cesspit mindset.

    Now, I'm ashamed to admit my employer's name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magnetic is the industry-leader in auto-stereoscopic 3D LCD displays, 3D content creation, 3D digital signage solutions and 3D software. See 3D without the glasses with Magnetic’s Enabl3d 3D displays.

    ReplyDelete