Tuesday 21 January 2020

The Hamster Ate My Post


As per gov.uk every year, HMRC receives some imaginative excuses and expense claims following the 31 January Self Assessment deadline.

To wrap up the decade, and with 2 weeks to the deadline, HMRC has highlighted 10 of the most weird and wonderful excuses we have received from customers who missed the deadline over the last 10 years.

The top 10 most bizarre excuses and questionable expenses claims for items, in reverse order, are:
  • caravan rental for the Easter weekend
  • I was up a mountain in Wales, and couldn’t find a post box or get an internet signal
  • my dog ate the post … again
  • claiming £4.50 for sausage and chips meal expenses for 250 days
  • my hamster ate my post
  • I’ve been cruising round the world in my yacht, and only picking up post when I’m on dry land
  • a music subscription so I can listen to music while I work
  • pet food for a Shih Tzu ‘guard dog’
  • a DJ was too busy with a party lifestyle – spinning the deck….in a bowls club
  • my mother-in-law is a witch and put a curse on me
All the excuses and expenses listed above were unsuccessful.

Tax does have to be taxing.


HMRC Is Shite (www.hmrcisshite.com), also available via the domain www.hmrconline.com, is brought to you by www.kenfrost.com "The Living Brand"

5 comments:

  1. Hold up a minute. Some of them were mentioned in 2019, and definitely the sausage and chips for 250 days.

    I therefore presume then that this was allowed in 2019, which is why they are claiming again. Their choice of food is up to them, as maybe that is all they wish to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The usual PR horseshit spin they throw out around the filing date. Its only humorous to the people who don't work in the shite hole on a daily basis.

    I'm Dirty Fernella. I like to flash my hamster in a phone box.

    Then send the pictures...

    Issue a Press Release on that to the Daily Mail. Spin with a Grin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those HMRC bunch lack intelligence - wouldn't be surprised if they believe the excuses. The Inland Revenue and HM Customs and Excise used to be disciplined, hard-working departments - nowadays, HMRC has become like a cushy welfare club for the otherwise unemployable; ergo they're a bunch of scroungers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. No intelligent people at HMRC. They are lazy too. My advice to anyone thinking of working for them: don't!!! Its soul destroying.They'll steal a good work ethic from anyone.

      Delete
    2. That why I left. 20 years putting my heart and time into a job I loved-then the last three years seeing the standard of new staff drop to levels so poor I could trust very few of them to do the job, and the stresses of having to mollycoddle them through quite inadequate training were just the straw that broke the camel's back.

      Delete